About Me

My photo
Professor at the University of Illinois at Chicago

Tuesday, July 21

Blind - BA 8

The Blind
Brother Author #8

To most people, the phrase ‘blind’ means you cannot see. Well, most people can see, but they are blind. What does it mean you can see the light? Why do we go to church when can we worship God within ourselves? Brian always asked his teachers, parents, and friends these questions, but they never answered. Brian is fourteen and lives on the south side of Chicago. It’s hard living on 67th in Cottage Grove.

Brian Walters, sitting next to his girlfriend in algebra class, wasn’t really paying attention. She was the hottest girl in school. “Brian, what does n equal?” Ms. Woods asked. “N equals 86.” Ms. Woods looked sick because he answered it right; her look made some people laugh including, Beth. Ms. Woods got really mad so she put an even harder question on the board. “What about this one?” All Brian said was, “12.8.” Now she had a face that looked like she had to throw up. Just before she put another problem on the board, the lunch bell rang. Everyone got up and rushed out of Ms. Woods’ class.

“Brian,” Ms. Woods called.

“Yeah,” Brian replied.

“How did you know the answers to those questions?” Ms. Woods asked.

“I studied with my uncle Robby who is a retired teacher.”

“Do you go to church?” she asked.

“Yeah, but it doesn’t make sense to me. It bores me and a lot of other people. Sometimes I see people sleeping during the message.”

“What it is your parish?”

“Missionary Baptist. Why?”

“Because I heard that Baptists are fun and exciting?”

“Well, my church is boring.”

“Well, I’m Catholic and don’t like my church. Why don’t you try what I did, go to a different church.”

“But I don’t see why we have to go to church. St. Francis of Assisi tried to build a church as a building when he was supposed to build church in the people.” Brian started to get mad because he thought Ms. Woods wasn’t listen.

“Well, answer this for me; what does blind mean to you?”

“Blind means that you can’t see.”

“See what?”

“OH! See God, so you’re saying I’m blind because I don’t see the meaning of church”

“Yes, because church is what you make it. Now that you see what I’m talking about go to lunch.”

1 comment:

  1. This is phenomenal! When I first started reading it, I thought Dr. Tatum had written it. Keep writing, brother, and I'm curious--where did you get the idea for this piece?

    ReplyDelete