About Me

My photo
Professor at the University of Illinois at Chicago

Wednesday, July 1

Last Stand/Call to Action/Deathbed Broadside - Day 3


Brother Authors,

As week 1 of the institute comes to an end, we will write for the benefit of others and ourselves. To do this, I ask you to reflect on an experience that you can use to teach the rest of us a lesson. I offer a broadside below that captures the first time I was placed at gunpoint at age 11 (4015 days after I was born) in the Ida B. Wells housing projects. This experience and others, mostly positive, shaped my decision to become a teacher. We are the change agents we need. Things will not change until... The broadside is below:


Until…
By
Alfred W. Tatum
July 1, 2009
10:18 pm


Four thousand and fifteen days from my first breath

Cornered by the brown brick fearing death

Invisible in broad daylight

The wide-opened eyes closed shut by dull beginnings

Could not see me/himself

Because of what he was (mis)taught

Confused

Distraught

Blood continues to drip

On the inner-city asphalt

Until…

Until…

Until…

15 comments:

  1. Brother Author #12July 1, 2009 at 11:06 PM

    Im tired, and ive felt this for awhile now, hold on
    im sleepy but insomnia's so strong
    im so gone, think about me
    dont forget the only one
    who looks at everyone and sees a little sun
    just a little moon
    im in pain, itll be night soon
    im hoping i can sleep, without counting off sheep
    bloom, my roses whither please come hither
    i must speak before i start to wheep, my voice quivers
    my body shivers, my pen rattles, ill write my only thoughts
    before i enter this battle
    but, who am i?
    but a guy, with a scar in his eyes
    seen too many things said, too many people who've died
    inside, i cant hide, i cant run or dissapear
    seeing something so far, at the same time near
    wave at me, youve caught me, but wait, i must think
    how can i pull my baby out, we going down in a sink
    caught in a whirlpool
    in and out, out and in, home then back to school, am i a fool?
    do i just ignore whats obvious
    or is there somethin more, to all of this nonsense
    mom, since i have none, ill use my mouth as a gun
    flip my tounge and fire bullets till i feel like ive won
    a prize. look in her eyes, can i see the real her?
    does she care that the real me. is dying to see
    if we were ment to be together, i dont think we need eachother, but we like one another
    maybe i should light up my covers, tell my brothers i wont be long, my will is strong
    imma prove imma tough dude, and leave a trail to my home.
    but am i just another boy, she can use as a toy?
    soldier, i dont think so, im older on then inside then i seem though
    im smart, witty and clever, and if i must i will severe
    the fatal attraction, that faintly holds us together
    For My Own Sake...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brother Author # 5July 2, 2009 at 10:51 AM

    The Man On the Bunk Bed
    By: Brother Author # 5

    Counting the seconds of the rest of my life

    I was interrupted by my last sight

    An ignorant black man fighting off the guards

    But of no success they threw him in hard

    The man grabbed the gate of that rusty shell

    I smiled for now I have something to tell

    “Boy we are of excellent race”

    “But in here we look ourselves in the face”

    I held my heart for I was nearly dead

    As I lifted my head and hopped out my bunk bed

    “We are of no victim, you and I”

    “But we are somebodies until the day we die”

    “80 years I rotted in this cage”

    “But never once did my opinion change”

    The man tried to sit me down

    But I was determined to pass my crown

    “I marched with Brother Martin with no regret”

    “But here is something no one will ever get”

    The guards outside looked at me mean and dirty

    “What are you looking at you jive turkey”

    “What you negroes don’t know is that even in jail”

    “With Tshaka’s pride we can prevail”

    Some guards came in and took me away

    I was fighting back just to say

    “As-Salam Alaikum my brother for today I die”

    “But know this tomorrow a black angel will rise”

    As I was taken away to my execution I knew what was expected

    The very next day everyone watched as…

    Barack Obama was Elected

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brother Author #12July 2, 2009 at 11:09 AM

    Love Diamonds

    Give me to the people
    Put power in their hands
    I am what I stand, for
    Deploy the soldiers and men who can’t stand war
    In flag ships, let’s send fifty, these mercenaries are stars
    Stripe the ground with tanks till the surface is scarred
    With red blood, would have been blue, but the color or hue
    Seemed to change with the flood of oxygen, you
    Have no chance of stopping them
    It’s convenient to thank heaven, all hell
    Most of these boys are 7, 11, or 12
    Don’t know if he’ll grow older
    The life of a cold soldier
    For the General’s glory
    We fight for minerals, in this cynical story
    Can I…trust the pastor?
    While he prays to God and in the mean time
    I obey master?
    I’ve seen crimes that would make prisons look like a play pen
    Most of them are childish they just want to Play men.
    I say then, go ahead, over here people die quick
    You haven’t witnessed rage till you’ve seen your friends head on a stick.
    I walked to him and fell to my knees feeling sick
    And through crystal tears, crying
    I looked to the sky and asked God
    “Do you love diamonds…?”

    ReplyDelete
  4. 99 problems but fighting’s not one.
    Brother Author #11


    I walked off the bus in anticipation
    Forgetting everything I knew was education

    As I walked off he looked at me in disgust
    That’s when I knew everything was about to bust

    But that’s when I stopped thinking about what he can do to me
    Then I said forget it there is nothing between us but a ton space and opportunity

    Next thing you know I’m throwing fists with the dude
    People tried to hold me back but I was in a mood too rude

    All of a sudden I caught one in the gut
    He kicked over to the street and left thinking he kicked my butt

    But I was far from done
    Watch old dude he about to look dumb

    I quickly got to my feet, ran and got him with a tackle
    As he fell to the ground I thought I heard his ribs crackle

    I gained plenty of power so he caught one in the jaw
    So I continued as my fist became raw

    People began to pull me off of him and said “That’s enough”
    But I’m like “Forget him I’m finna show him who’s tough”

    I broke loose of their grip
    I ran and jumped into the air thinking
    I’m about to hit him with my fist and I hope his face rips.

    The fist landed on his face and boy did his face rip
    I saw his lip bleeding as he held it in a grip

    My older brother and his friend came over and they saw what I’ve done
    My brother put me on his back and said “I hope you’re done with your fun”

    I’m like “Man (ump) that chump man I ain’t (umpping) done with that mother (umpping)
    Piece of (ump)! (Ump) him!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brother Author #12July 2, 2009 at 11:10 AM

    Autumn Message

    Leaves float down wistfully unto me, eyes shuddering, I see blurs
    They look like people I’ve known…
    In the crisp grass I rest, is how it should be
    A field of play abandoned by all, I hear the birds calls
    They sound familiar like people I’ve known…
    I can taste the fading light in the air as the sun goes in hiding
    My body feels cooler by the second and while I inhale the color of the leaves
    My own fades. I feel weightless as if this field of grass was a never ending cloud in the sky.
    My thoughts are becoming hazy as the wind blows more of my friends before my eyes
    They all speak to me as they pass; I have to tell them something
    The trees that surround me in a tight ring lean over me, watching.
    Oh wait, it’s my family surrounding me, they’ve come to help me stand.
    I don’t have the strength.
    I stroke the hair on my brother’s head
    It’s grown a lot, I have to, I’ll tell him.
    “Listen…if you believe…that…Caucasians are the reason you can’t excel…that they’re stopping you…then...you…are a Caucasian.”
    Through strained breaths I state my final words, to no one, no one
    But my friends and family and my little brother, with his black mask on.
    That just happen to look like leaves, trees and a raccoon.
    I hope he heard me…in the autumn breeze.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brother Author
    #7

    STOP!!!!!!


    I can hear the flames
    Burning the future of others
    Gun violence
    Gangs
    All of this is killing our city
    Stop the violence
    Stop the flames
    Stop everything

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brother Author #2
    7/2/09

    Running Back

    I pay my bus fare and others like me follow as they run to the back,
    but they act as though they do not have any social training.

    They curse and shout derogatory words at one another, laughing
    but will be ready to fight if someone of another race were to say these words.

    They are fitting the stereotype by being loud and obnoxious on this bus,
    but will swear that other races are out to get us.

    NO! It is not these races out to get us,
    WE are just committing suicide to our own people.

    WE are digging graves for our generations, future generations,
    and making our past generations turn in theirs.

    The future belongs to¬¬¬ those who prepare for it today,
    but we are way behind in our preparation.

    So we need to buckle down, study,
    and turn on our lights.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brother author 10



    STAYING TOGETHER




    Black and whites have been fighting for years but when I Start to die they feel sadness and fear. Why does a lifeHave to be gone before whites and blacks canStop live a long when I look them they look sad and happy.There are all together which make them happy But when I die the sadness come back how long will last how strong it will hold. Love is the glue that’s Keeping them together if they have each other they Don’t have to live in fear just joy and cheer

    ReplyDelete
  9. Day of Death
    By brother author #9

    I’m on my street hanging around

    Then some clown come around

    He showed a gun then I heard a bam

    Man I really got slammed

    I saw people scream and run
    I saw my mother I saw she was crying


    I thought I was almost done

    I can’t believe I’m really dying

    I see people coming around me

    I can’t see them because I saw bright light coming to me

    I scream Lord help me !! help me!!

    I’m almost dead, can you see?

    Then I flash my eyes then I see

    That I was just having a bad dream

    ReplyDelete
  10. #4
    Her End


    This burning feeling inside
    It left me without balance
    Like poor old Ms. New Orleans
    I look back now on our good memories together
    I wonder has she ever cried
    All she has endured is now gone
    I wonder if only I had a set of wings
    I would change everything
    We all have flaws, but she did not deserve this
    No one did
    I have done this to myself
    I should not have harmed anyone with my actions
    I had too much pride to cry
    Now, I looked back onto my actions and did not wonder.
    I, I, I, no I should have stopped
    My injury indeed was indeed new, now old.
    Come here son, I’m ok
    Don’t hide your face your love will be back and even better.
    Maybe we can come back someday

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brother Author #1

    Distraught Image…

    Two teen boys walking though a park.
    Nothing ever goes wrong, right?
    Wrong…
    Two other boys taunt my image.
    Ego overpowers, I talk back.
    I try to stay strong.
    I can’t.
    I feel as if I was a punk.
    They leave my image distraught…
    Will it return to default?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cry of a Bad Man



    I work in chains
    But I didn't do it I have a brain
    At least i think
    I was high though that's not a lie
    Now I'm in this place
    Hot and sweaty can't even sleep at night
    Now you know that mess isn't right
    The sun shines too bright.
    But you can't turn off the lights
    I always wake in a fright
    Guards walk around with their might
    Then flash people with their lights
    But they just pick on me because I got life
    Please do me a favor and don't live this life
    Don't mess up a life worth living
    Don't let it pass as i have
    Take my advice
    Live or you too will pass

    ReplyDelete
  13. Slave Boy
    Brother # 5

    You've taken away my dignity so I look at the sky

    For I refuse to look down to see two million blacks who have died

    Where is the right you took from my father

    We still have hope so why even bother

    My fellow brothers this has got to stop

    For we don't deserve to be picking crop

    For the white man or the white man's son

    Is this America Mr. Washington

    They are controlling us by fear and sin

    But I bet I won't see a white foot in the cabin I live in

    Tshaka is dead, but his blood is alive

    My fellow brothers if I am to die

    I want sons and daughters to see

    How wonderful life of a black person can be

    I'd do all that right now but instead

    It will have to wait for there is a gun held to my head

    ReplyDelete
  14. Embrace Literature

    why should i sink
    cus im perfectly captured in ink
    and any writer would think
    that even through the process
    of printing and cuttin losses
    the cost is, much more then frantic yelling from bosses
    which arises at any moment
    as souls search for atonement
    to print their mistakes on paper
    and manufacture not own it
    ghost reality a copy paste kinda guy
    who snaps pictures of a bugle
    that print photos with matching
    lies
    or the surprise that youll see in a dames eyes
    for a sorta sparkling figure that captures the heroes cries
    or shines gold, ill behold the 2nd coming of the lord
    thats great, a checkmate, as i finish and publish boards
    or tactical mind games
    in paper or hardback frames
    with brief records of pawns
    who helped in making of fame
    the way harry potter got her puts publications to shame
    she'll read that weed for hours before it damage her brain
    im cleanin up mental thefts
    more auto then mos def
    in flows for public ages
    on library shelves
    hes only about 11 or 12
    ill write of a child soldier
    who embraced human hell
    ill tell the nasty have at me
    cus im not takin scars
    or mention the jurisdiction of gods son
    titled Nas,
    or raging balls of fire in the sky thought as stars
    when the sun is the biggest one since drones
    dont probe far
    ill stage it, and through the ages
    when our history shook
    ill win, picked up a pen
    and wrote my story in books
    Thats CheckMate...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brother Author #6July 7, 2009 at 7:21 AM

    REFLECTION




    Within my father’s habitat in the room of life.
    I heard the sharp rapture of shattering glass, so I sprinted to the bathroom.

    The medicine cabinet door was outcast and everything was gone
    Then I heard a phone ring with a weird ominous sound.

    When I turned around, I could see his reflection in the mirrior.
    Then my heart almost stopped while I was full of fear.

    Then I was tossed against the wall with a hand of darkness around my throat, I could see my parallel self in the presence of a pure and shiny blade.

    The four-legged boxer came to my aid.
    The masked man was then chased out of the house and never seen again.

    ReplyDelete